A key part of The Little Market’s mission is to source, and raise awareness, for eco-conscious goods. Here on Cultural Exchange, we share avenues in which we encourage our readers to make sustainable lifestyle choices by supporting women around the globe. Today, we are recognizing Earth Day. Keep reading to learn more about this monumental day.
Earth Day is one of the largest environmental events across the world. On April 22, 1970, 20 million Americans initiated the first Earth Day by advocating for positive environmental change and raising awareness about the importance of protecting our planet. And today marks the 50th anniversary of Earth Day. This year’s Earth Day theme has been declared Climate Action, due to the challenges faced by climate change.
HOW WE CAN HELP
1. Safely incorporate reusable bags into your routine.
2. Search for brands that have implemented eco-conscious practices.
3. Use reusable water bottles — they’re convenient and environmentally friendly.
4. If able, opt for walking or riding your bike in place of driving.
5. Avoid plastic utensils and opt for sustainable dinnerware and silverware.
6. Support your local small businesses and farmers markets.
7. Look for alternatives to paper, like paperless billing.
8. Use sustainable storage solutions in your home, like glass jars in your bathroom and kitchen.
9. Donate books and clothing so they can safely be repurposed.
10. Stay educated on the environment and how we can all do our part to be more eco-conscious in our daily lifestyles. Share what you learn with your family and friends.
SOCIAL DISTANCING PRACTICES
We believe that changing our habits, big or small, can change the world. That’s why we choose to stay inside for the safety of our community. And that’s why we choose to prioritize people and the planet when creating and sourcing products. Like safety, we take sustainability very seriously.
As we stay in, we are not only helping by preventing the spread of COVID-19, but also the environment. Air pollution in major metropolitan cities has drastically decreased, often where people are seeing blue skies for the first time in years. Here are a few tips on how we can continue to be environmentally friendly while we stay home.
1. Turn off the lights as you exit a room.
2. Limit air conditioner usage.
3. On laundry day, wash with cold water and air dry.
4. Drive less, if it is necessary for you to leave your home for essential shopping or medical aid.
5. Plant your own garden for fresh veggies or new plants also helps bees!
As a Fair Trade Federation member, a core part of our mission is advocating for environmental consciousness. We prioritize partnerships with artisan groups and social enterprises that implement sustainable practices, such as using recycled materials, opting for natural dyes, and locally sourcing materials like grasses and cotton threads. We also strive to be environmentally friendly within our own operations here in the United States, such as using sustainable storage, minimizing electricity use when possible, limiting the use of paper, and recycling.
We are so excited to celebrate Earth Day, today and every day. And we’re always looking for new ways to be sustainable and mindful of our environmental footprint! Share your ideas with us in the comments below or on Instagram @thelittlemarket.