Photo by Pebble
At The Little Market, our mission is dedicated to supporting dignified income opportunities for individuals in underserved communities all over the world. A core part of our mission is to raise awareness for human rights and support fair trade. Here on Cultural Exchange, we share avenues in which our readers can use their voices and actions to help others. This month, we are spotlighting Fair Trade Month.
Fair Trade Month is recognized every year throughout the month of October. It is a time to raise awareness around the importance of fair trade and to advocate for fair trade products and ethical shopping.
Photo by Anchal Project
What is Fair Trade?
Fair trade is a form of ethical, environmentally conscious, and sustainable production that focuses on creating economic opportunities for underserved producers. It promotes inclusive practices, safe working conditions, fair pay, and the preservation of traditional techniques. It has grown into a global movement, with more than one million small-scale producers and workers who have organized.
Every purchase you make has power. When you shop with brands that value fair trade principles, you support the people behind the product.
There are tens of thousands of fair trade products available including fruits, vegetables, chocolate and cocoa, coffee, clothing, and artisan-made goods. The fair trade movement originally began in the 1940s with the sale of artisan-made goods.
We are proud to be a member of the Fair Trade Federation and to implement fair trade practices. At The Little Market, we thoroughly vet each potential artisan group and social enterprise from which we ethically purchase products to ensure they are practicing fair trade principles. To learn more about the nine Fair Trade Federation principles, please visit here.
How to Get Involved
- Learn more about fair trade practices and how they can be implemented.
- Read more about the people behind each of the products and services that you purchase.
- Stay up-to-date on fair trade news and help to raise awareness of human rights around the world.
- Support fair trade organizations and share their stories with your network.
- Look out for fair trade products at your local grocery stores and markets. Labels will include the Fair Trade Federation, Fairtrade International, and Fair Trade USA logos.
- Donate to nonprofits and social enterprises supporting fair trade practices.
- Gift fair trade products to your friends and family.
- Host a virtual event to encourage our community to learn more about fair trade practices.
Stay tuned on our website and blog to shop fair trade products and learn more about fair trade! Thank you for shopping with intention and supporting our mission.