A 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, The Little Market’s mission is to support the economic empowerment of women in marginalized communities around the world through dignified job opportunities. We are proud to support female artisans and their handmade goods while celebrating their cultural traditions. On this blog, Cultural Exchange, we strive to call attention to causes that are close to our hearts. Today, we are recognizing Giving Tuesday.
Giving Tuesday is a designated global day of giving, falling on November 27 this year. #GivingTuesday marks the beginning of the giving season and lands on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving in the United States. Six years ago, the United Nations Foundation and the team at the Belfer Center for Innovation & Social Impact at the 92nd Street Y located in New York City created Giving Tuesday to celebrate generosity and giving back. It has since become a global campaign with nearly 150 countries participating. In 2017, Giving Tuesday raised nearly $274 million, a record-breaking figure.
Giving Tuesday is a time for everyone to come together for a common purpose — to unite behind meaningful causes and to give back to others. Whether it’s conscious shopping or volunteering, there are various ways to participate in Giving Tuesday.
10 Ways to Give Back This Holiday Season
It’s important to give back to your community, whether local, national, or globally. Here are some ideas on how to get started this holiday season!
- Perform a random act of kindness in your community.
- Donate clothing, food, books, and care kits to food banks and community shelters.
- Organize a clean-up in your community.
- Volunteer at a shelter or in a nursing home.
- Donate to nonprofits and social enterprises.
- Vote with your dollar! Shop consciously and for fair trade goods to support artisans and producers.
- Donate school supplies, books, and toys to a local school.
- Engage in community development campaigns.
- Donate your skills. Volunteer with a local charity or nonprofit and share your skill sets, whether that may be cooking, writing, designing, managing campaigns, or more.
- Promote a cause on social media. (And share your story using #GivingTuesday!)
Join us in celebrating Giving Tuesday! Together, each of us can do our part to give back to others and create a meaningful difference.
Let us know how you’re participating in #GivingTuesday in the comments below! We’d love to hear your ideas!