At The Little Market, our mission is dedicated to supporting dignified income opportunities for individuals in underserved communities all over the world. A core part of our mission is to raise awareness for human rights and social justice issues. Here on Cultural Exchange, we share avenues through which our readers can use their voices and actions to others. Today, we are recognizing Giving Tuesday.
Giving Tuesday is a global movement encouraging and celebrating generosity. Created seven years ago, Giving Tuesday encourages individuals around the world to do good and give back. A growing movement, Giving Tuesday has expanded to more than 90 countries since 2012, from the United States to Brazil to Kenya to Russia.
Giving Tuesday was created by the 92nd Street Y, a nonprofit based in New York, and is also organized by the United Nations Foundation. In 2012, more than 2,500 nonprofits participated in the movement, with more than $10 million being raised in online fundraising. A key factor is a digital movement, including the #GivingTuesday hashtag and messages being shared via #MyGivingStory.
Each of us can do our part to give back and help others! Keep reading for some ideas on how to get started.
1. Volunteer in your community, such as at a local school, the library, or a food pantry.
2. Support nonprofits and social enterprises, and donate to charitable causes.
3. Spark a conversation about the causes that are most important to you.
4. Share how you’re giving back on social media to spread the word.
5. Shop consciously and select brands with ethical, meaningful missions.
6. Donate gently used clothing, books, toys, and essentials.
7. Host a clothing and food drive in your community to encourage others to get involved.
8. Do a random act of kindness!
While Giving Tuesday is also known as the start of the charitable season, a key part of the movement is to encourage giving back every day. Thank you for joining us in celebrating Giving Tuesday and for your continued support of The Little Market. Every purchase and donation makes a meaningful difference.
How are you participating in Giving Tuesday? Let us know on Instagram @thelittlemarket with the hashtag #givegiftsgiveback or in the comments below!
To learn more about The Little Market, visit here.
Giving Tuesday. Web.
“How Giving Tuesday became a worldwide phenomenon.” Fast Company. 27 Nov. 2018. Web.
“5 Ways to Give Back This Giving Tuesday.” Refinery29. 19 Nov. 2018. Web.
“How Giving Tuesday First Got Started.” TIME. 27 Nov. 2017. Web.