At The Little Market, our mission is to support dignified income opportunities for individuals in underserved communities all over the world. A core part of that mission is to raise awareness around human rights. Here on Cultural Exchange, we share avenues in which our readers can use their voices to uplift others. Today, we are recognizing Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Keep reading to learn more about this monumental day.
Martin Luther King Jr. Day, observed annually on the third Monday in January, celebrates Martin Luther King Jr. and his accomplishments. Also known as a day of service, Martin Luther King Jr. Day encourages us to volunteer, ultimately bettering our communities and the world around us.
Martin Luther King Jr. became one of the most prominent leaders of the Civil Rights Movement. Inspired by Mohandas Gandhi, Dr. King supported nonviolent civil disobedience to racial segregation. Here are just a few moments and accomplishments to highlight.
- In 1955, he led the first primary protest of the movement, the Montgomery Bus Boycott. A year later, bus segregation was deemed unconstitutional by the U.S. Supreme Court.
- In the spring of 1963, Dr. King led a campaign against segregation, including at lunch counters and in hiring practices.
- In 1963, Dr. King led the March on Washington and presented the inspiring, world-renowned “I Have a Dream” speech at the Lincoln Memorial. He was joined by approximately 250,000 demonstrators.
- In 1964, he was awarded a Nobel Peace Prize for his nonviolent campaign and efforts to fight racism.
Throughout his advocacy, he was a champion of justice and equality for all. In celebration of Dr. King and Martin Luther King Jr. Day, we wanted to share a few of our favorite ways to support our communities.
- Donate clothing, books, food, and other essentials to a local shelter.
- Volunteer at a local school or assisted living facility.
- Spend time at an animal rescue shelter.
- Learn about Dr. King’s legacy and the accomplishments of his fellow civil rights leaders and activists.
- Organize an event for your community.
- Pick up litter to clean up your community or neighborhood.
- Create care kits with your family, friends, and co-workers and donate the kits to those in need.
Let’s make a difference today and every day. We would love to hear how you volunteer below! Share your ideas with us in the comments below or on Instagram, @thelittlemarket.