At The Little Market, our mission is to support dignified work for individuals in underserved communities all over the world. By ethically sourcing and purchasing artisan-made goods, we support sustainable income opportunities to help break the cycle of poverty and create a brighter future. A core part of our mission is to raise awareness for fair trade. Today, we are recognizing World Fair Trade Day.
What is fair trade and World Fair Trade Day?
Fair trade is a form of ethical, environmentally conscious, and sustainable production that focuses on creating economic opportunities for underserved producers. It promotes inclusive practices, safe working conditions, fair pay, and the preservation of traditional techniques.
At The Little Market, we are founded on the belief that we are all part of one global community and everyone deserves the right to fair, dignified work. We are proud to be a member of the Fair Trade Federation. The seven principles we practice throughout our processes are:
- Creating Opportunities for Economically and Socially Marginalized Producers
- Developing Transparent and Accountable Relationships
- Building Capacity
- Promoting Fair Trade
- Paying Promptly and Fairly
- Supporting Safe and Empowering Working Conditions
- Ensuring the Rights of Children
- Cultivating Environmental Stewardship
- Respecting Cultural Identity
Created by the World Fair Trade Federation Organization (WFTO) in 2004, World Fair Trade Day occurs annually on the second Saturday in May. WFTO has declared this year’s World Fair Trade Day theme as Planet Fair Trade, Enterprises for the new economy. This movement advocates for the prioritization of people and the planet, rather than profit and any forms of exploitation. By economically empowering small-scale, underserved artisans and producers, we can in turn take better care of our environment, ecosystems, and natural resources.
How to Support Fair Trade
- Stay educated on the fair trade movement and share your knowledge with friends and family members.
- Look for fair trade labels on products and support businesses that are fair trade certified or verified.
- Get to know the stories behind the products you are purchasing. We believe there is a power behind each of our purchases.
- Share about fair trade and World Fair Trade Day on social media to engage your community and spark conversations.
- Find fair trade businesses within your local community.
- Opt for fair trade gifts that give back when treating your friends and family.
- To learn more and donate, visit our website.
Fair trade is at the core of our mission and our ethical sourcing strategy. From the bottom of our hearts, thank you for advocating for fair trade and human rights around the world every day.
How are you recognizing World Fair Trade Day? Let us know in the comments below or on social @thelittlemarket!
You May Also Be Interested In
Series: Fair Trade Principles